Wednesday 14 August 2019

Semi interesting gender comparison stuff…


Firstly, I’d like to thank Ryan Lewis, Litherland Remyca, Avro FC and Mossley Hill Ladies for all their recent support on Twitter.   

Avro FC and Ryan Lewis provided me with crowd numbers for the game on 10th August and Avro FC corrected my error with regards to the £2 extra charge for seating – I welcome all updates and corrections.

One aspect I forgot to record on Saturday was the number of yellow cards on the day, and Avro FC kindly confirmed that there were 8 bookings in total (7 to Avro and 1 to Litherland) – I told you that it was a tetchy second half. I welcome this information as I am going to have a Men’s V Women’s bookings and penalties table, to see if there is any discernible difference.

The men are well up with 8 – 0 on bookings and 1 - 0 on penalties (however the women haven’t played yet).

The women’s game has relatively few transfer deals in comparison to the men. Most women move clubs once their contracts have expired. I was interested to know how much a decent female player would cost, and luckily for me I’ve read the information about Alex Greenwood’s move from Manchester United to Lyon. 

If you don’t know, Alex Greenwood plays left back, she is an England International, who played in some of the 2019 World Cup games, and last year she was the caption of Manchester United – she is 25 years old.

Lyon are the ‘Real Madrid’ of the women’s game as they have money to spend, have the current female ‘Ballon d Or’ winner, Ada Hegerberg, and have won the Champions League 4 years in a row (Lyon are the record winners with 6 Champions League victories).

This is a prestigious move in the women’s club game, to play at the top level of the sport.   How much did it cost? 

Lyon paid £36,900 to get their woman.

Let’s compare this to the men’s game and another Manchester move.  Aaron Wan-Bissaka plays right back.  He’s 21 years old and hasn’t played for the England senior team yet. 

Manchester United paid £45 million get to their man.

A difference of £44,963,100

I’m not making any judgements on the above as I understand that transfer prices are based on market forces, perceived worth, how much a club is willing to pay, how much a player wants to leave etc. It’s just interesting to point out how far behind the women’s game is, in terms of income generation and worth.

Speaking of which I visited the Football Museum in Manchester to look for specific women’s memorabilia – there wasn’t much there, but I did buy this book (below) as research for our blog. It’s written by Tim Tate, cost £7.99 and I’ll let you know if it’s any good.



I’m aware that this blog isn’t an original idea as many people have made this journey, however I wasn’t aware of this book called Journey to Wembley by Brian James. It was written about his 1976/77 Giant Killing Adventure – I’d like to thank Affordable Football @AffordableFooty for bringing it to my attention. I’m also reading it as research, and I’ll let you know how it goes and maybe give a few comparisons – in 1976 there wasn’t an Extra-Preliminary Round. 





It is 4 sleeps to our next game on the 18th August 2019 and below is a list of all the women’s FA cup games being played that day (348 teams fewer than the men’s Extra-Preliminary Round draw). You’ll also get to meet a brand-new blog guest! 

Take your friends and family to support your local club on this list. 

THE WOMEN’S FA CUP EXTRA PRELIMINARY ROUND SUNDAY 18 AUGUST 2019

1 Washington v Redcar Town

2 Wakefield Trinity v Farsley Celtic

3 Mossley Hill v Burnley Belvedere *GKA Feature*

4 Notts County v Cleethorpes Town

5 Port Vale v Lye Town

6 Corby Town v Bungay Town

7 New London Lionesses v Comets

8 Bishop’s Stortford v Hartham United

9 Ashford Town (Middx) v Denham United

10 Burgess Hill Town v Eastbourne United








No comments:

Post a Comment