Thursday 10 October 2013

The War Memorial Athletic Ground

 

My girlfriend told me another interesting fact about Stourbridge – it is where the alternative rock band The Wonder Stuff originated.  Most people of a certain age will remember their collaboration with Vic Reeves for the song Dizzy. She told me this on Sunday and then two hours later we split up. This blog is about 9 months of my life and my personal journey, so I need to mention this. At the moment I am not a happy blogger. She will be sadly missed by me; she means a lot to me and I am sorry this has happened. Because of this split, I will be attending the Stourbridge game on Saturday alone. I feel that it is appropriate to be alone during my period of sadness.

I will be saying goodbye to my girlfriend for 2013/14. :(

On more positive news: - I want to thank Stourbridge FC for mentioning our blog on their website.  It is my 4th website promise (Lancaster did say they would mention us, but I have not seen evidence of that as yet – I’m still grateful for the 4 retweets though).

Back to Stourbridge FC who won a league game mid-week to move them up to 5th in the league. Curzon Ashton have not played since my last posting – they are still 2nd in their league which is one tier lower than Stourbridge FC’s league.  

This is Stourbride FC’s first match in the Giant Killing Adventure – previously in the FA Cup they beat Evesham United away 0-3 in the 1st Qualifying Round and then Sutton Coldfield Town at home 3-2 in the 2nd Qualifying Round.  Curzon Ashton have already played three times in our Giant Killing Adventure. They beat Ashton Athletic 4-0, produced a lower-league victory away to Marine FC 2-4, drew 0-0 at home with Lancaster City FC, and then beat them in the replay 1-2.  I still think this match will be close. Saturday 12th October 2013, 2 days time, 2 sleeps

In other news:-

Our blog has been alive for 2 months and here is a breakdown of the number of page views and their origin of country. It’s our own little version of a World Cup League. 

Top ten country page views for the Giant Killing Adventure - 13th August 2013 to 10th October 2013
Country
Number of Page Views
United Kingdom
3298
United States
973
Indonesia
120
Spain
28
Germany
26
Serbia
21
Russia
15
Ireland
13
France
12
Switzerland
6


As you can see, the United Kingdom is massively ahead with 3298 page views so far.  They are likely to win unless the United States soccer fans start to love our blog – I’m impressed with nearly 1000 views from the USA. The real competition lies in the ‘Champions League’ spots of 3rd and 4th place.  Indonesia stormed into 3rd position over one weekend but hasn’t been consistent since.  Spain did the same as they didn’t perform until last weekend. Germany and Serbia have been having a consistent tussle whilst Russia has slipped down to 7th place.  We’ll keep a close eye on this next month to see who’s vying for position and to see if any other wildcard countries get a real taste for our blog.  

Here is more from the You tube site by the journeymen – they are following their own road to Wembley by making short films of their matches.  It’s a bit sweary - just a warning to people who are offended by 4 letter words and any kids that might be reading. However, you can get a feel for the kind of grounds and atmospheres produced during these early FA Cup games.  Click below for Horsham vs Faversham Town.

Horsham Vs Faversham Town


If the journeymen continue and we continue then at some point we’ll meet. 

Finally the FA has filmed a 2nd Qualifying Round match as they followed the tie between Grays Athletic and Tilbury.  Click below for the FA’s report of that match.


I hope you’ve enjoyed the extras and I apologise for the sombre nature of today’s blog. We’ll see you on Saturday 12th October 2013 for our blog’s match between Stourbridge FC and Curzon Ashton – 2 days (2 sleeps).  Goodbye from a very sad blogger. :(

Oh, and don’t forget our facebook page







No comments:

Post a Comment