Monday 23 September 2013

The missing ingredient so far...


The Football Ground Pie

The top selling half-time snack at most football grounds in Britain is the humble pie. It is simple, easy to handle (it can be eaten one handed if need be) and seems to be the missing ingredient from our blog. I can’t believe that I’ve not taken the opportunity to try the lower-league pies on offer in the games that I’ve attended. What was I thinking?

As a kid, I wouldn’t have considered attending a football game without some kind of pastry filled treat - it’s like going to the cinema without buying popcorn.  The pie is part of football history - my Aunty told me that as a teenager she threw a pie at a referee for making a bad decision (that was okay behaviour in the 1960s).

In 1988 I went to Old Trafford (Manchester United's Stadium).  I caught a coach from Chorley, 26 miles north of Manchester (£3.50 return), and it cost £5.00 at the turnstiles to get in.  I was in the standing area and pie sellers used to walk amongst the fans. Brain McClair become the first player since George Best to score 20 league goals in a season for Manchester United and I missed his 20th goal because I was ‘chasing after’ the pie selling man – that’s how important pies are to a British football fan.   


A two-hander pie at a lower-league game

A recent survey has shown that the most expensive pies in the Premiership are the £4.00 Crystal Palace pies. At Chelsea and Manchester City they are £3.80 and the cheapest top flight pies are £2.80 at Stoke City. According to the Survey the cheapest football pies in England, cost £2 at League Two club Rochdale – I’ll see if Curzon Ashton can beat that on Saturday 28th September.


Big Stadium one-hander 

Back to the actual football:-

On Saturday 21st September, Lancaster City won 4-1 in the Evo-Stik Northern Division One, against Radcliffe Borough.  Curzon Ashton dropped points for the first time this season as they drew 1-1 away to Nantwich Victoria. Both Curzon and Lancaster are playing League games mid week, but at the moment Curzon are still top of the league with 19 points from 7 games. Lancaster are 3rd with 17 points from 7 games – only 2 points separate them, so next Saturday’s FA Cup clash should be close.  


I have created The Giant Killing Adventure Facebook page.  The page will hold images, comments and information about new blog postings.  Please feel free to be part of the community by ‘Liking’ the page. Click on link below:






No comments:

Post a Comment