Monday 7 October 2019

The (Double) Single Header on the Weekend of 5th and 6th October… 2019


1921

This was a defining year for women’s football as the FA sought medical advice to try and discourage or ban the women’s game. 

Doctor’s stated that ‘the kicking was too jerky a movement for women and the strain was likely to be severe. Just as the frame of a woman is more rounded than a man’s, her movements should be more rounded and less angular.’

Another doctor stated, ‘the knocks and buffetings from playing football would seriously impair a women’s duty to be a mother (don’t get mad at me, it’s not the GKA saying this).

In the next round the GKA will look at some women player responses to these ‘expert’ opinions at the time.

Until then, lets fast forward to 2019… (Sorry this next section is whingy)

In the WSL there was another game at a men’s Premiership stadium. On Sunday 29th September, West Ham LFC hosted Tottenham LFC in front of 24,790 people, at London Stadium.  On the surface this appears to be another big crowd and the GKA is happy about this… However (you knew there was going to be a ‘however’, didn’t you), when you consider that the population of London is 9,176,530 (that’s over 9 million), the crowd is only 0.27% of the City’s population – tickets were merely £2 for adults or £1 for West Ham Season ticket holders.  Average home attendance for the men is 58,336, so I’m not being negative, I’m just pointing out that this is all still ‘a work in progress’ heading in the right direction.

I have two more whingy points to make (sorry). 

1)    Last season I bought a season ticket for Man United Women for £39.  I thought that quite a few people would jump at this offer, but according to the BBC website (which influences my feminist agenda) only 478 other people bought season tickets.

2)    The women’s Champions League is in full flow and both Manchester City LFC and Arsenal LFC have reached the last 16.  This is something that the English press should be ‘all over’ like a ‘cheap suit’ but It seems to have little coverage. How can the women’s sport grow at grassroots level when games at the top level of club football hardly get a mention?

Speaking of grassroots football, let’s get on with the purpose of today’s post… 

Another fantastic weekend of FA Cup Football! (whinging over).

Saturday 5th Oct

As the GKA set off for its 2-hour journey to Belper Town, the England Women’s team kicked off against Brazil in front of another large crowd (29,238 and we will not over analyse this number and see it as a positive). 

The journey to Belper was straightforward, without incidence and I arrived at 14:25 as the sat nav had predicted.  However, as I drove through the small quaint town centre, the sat nav instruction was to turn left down into somebody’s driveway.  I was confused, I missed the turn, carried on, turned the car around, came back, tried again, same problem.  This could have gone on forever.  I turned into a side street, parked on a quiet road and investigated further on foot.

I walked down the main street following my phone’s instructions and walked where it was telling me – it took me into somebody’s driveway. I was confused, but I could hear footballs in the distance and hidden through some trees I could see the pitch.  What I didn’t know was how to get there.

I knew that my anal plan of setting off early was a good thing, because I’d already wasted 15 minutes wondering around - until I saw my saviour!  A very friendly, elderly gentlemen dressed in a Belper Town hat and scarf.

‘How do you get to the ground?’ I asked (as a male, we hate admitting defeat and asking for directions – I felt emasculated).

‘You can either go that way past the church,’ he pointed, ‘or follow me past the library.’

I decided to follow this young man and we had an excellent chat about Belper Town FC. I think he struggled to understand the concept of why I’d driven 2hrs to watch the game.

‘We’re tough to beat at home you know,’ he informed, ‘even though we’ve been around since 1883, the trophy cabinet is a bit small.’ He gestured, to show its lack of size.

I enjoyed talking to this friendly gentleman (the GKA’s Night in Belper Armour) and said ‘Goodbye,’ when we reached the Turnstiles.


  It was £9 to enter…and the time was 14:51, so I’m glad I’d set off early.


It was the standard £2 for a program.


The first thing I noticed when I walked in was this excellent dog.  Then I noticed 3 other dogs.


I turned to the 2 guys’ next to me and said, ‘I’ve never seen so many dogs at a football match.’ They both looked at me like I’d spat in their faces and turned away without reply – it’s seems that not everyone was as chatty as my Belper Town savour.

A couple of fans walked past me shouting ‘Come on you pics’ – the away fans had arrived.




This 250-space stand was built in 2008 in recognition of Reg Walker’s involvement in the club – he was one of the men responsible for the club’s reformation in 1951.


I noticed the club shop and walked over to get a coffee.




A friendly young girl served me and smiled as I took the photo above.

‘Are you surprised by the prices?’ She asked.

‘They’re the kinda prices I like.’

We both laughed (I’m so smooth). 

I walked away thinking, is that the only food they’ve got, chocolate?... 

and where are the toilets?  If I drink this coffee, I’ll need to go soon (I’m so old).

I must be old because Craklin’Rosie By Neil Diamond was on the PA and I was enjoying it.  

It was 15 degrees, mild and warm and I went for a wonder…


To take the GKA customary corner flag photo.


I set up camp, ontop of the Rushall Olympic dug out.  Waterfall by the Stone Roses came on the system and I thought to myself Is there some kind of Rose obsession at Belper? 


Moments later, the nearby Church Bells chimed (sounding like a Spaghetti Western) and the match kicked off simultaneously.   Behind the goal, to my left there were several singing Belper fan’s (it’s the first GKA singers of 2019). However, once the game kicked off, the singing mostly ended as they watched the game.   



Just behind me was the scoreboard and the press tower.


I have a GKA confession to make – For the first 8 minutes I thought that the team in yellow was Rushall (because they'd played in yellow when I last watched them).  It wasn’t until the yellow team scored and most people cheered that I realised my mistake (don’t tell anyone).  It was a well-deserved lead as Rushall, err, I mean Belper had dominated the early exchanges.  It was 1-0 Belper.

The Rushall coach was the nosiest person in the stadium as he constantly encouraged and harassed his team.  In comparison, the Belper coach was quiet, as he only shouted every now and again. 

An elderly group of Belper Fans were joined by their friend who shouted, ‘Stand by your beds.’ As he came over.  I’m guessing they were all ex-military as they seemed a tightknit group that laughed and joked together through the whole game. Especially as the Rushall keeper spent 5 minutes shouting an inaudible angry rant to his own team.  It finished 1-0 at the half and this was a fair reflection of play.

Half Time – Saturday 5th October…



I went for a wonder behind the opposite main stand to discover a 2nd shop and bar. 


The prices were still cheap. I wondered why it was 20p extra for a coffee, but I didn’t let it affect me emotionally.  


There was no pathetic attempt at flirting as I ordered my ‘Home Made Steak Pie’ that was served to me upside down.


There was a extensive sauce and condiment table…


I would describe the pie as ‘average.’ The filling was excellent as it was crammed with nice chunks of steak, potatoes, carrots and an unrecognisable green think (maybe leek?).  The pastry let this pie down as it was a little dry and tough. 

Having said that, I still bloomin enjoyed it! 


I finally found the toilets which were a bit of a trek… my ‘old man bladder’ was safe. 

My phone rang and I was being Fraud Called by somebody pretending to be HMRC revenue and customers – if you get a call from 02038965094, just ignore and block the number. 

Galverston by Glen Campbell was on the PA and I set up camp for the 2nd half – back ontop of the Rushall Olympic dugout.  

I could smell tobacco smoke but wasn’t quite sure if it was psychosomatic due to the 60s music or just the gutters on top of the dugouts… The Belper part-time singers had moved behind the other goal to the right.

Rushall Olympic, in the last game of the GKA were the best team I’ve watched.  They seemed quick, powerful and they passed the ball well. The Rushall that had turned up for the first half of this game, was not the same team – perhaps they play better at home, on their artificial surface? 

The Rushall that came out for the 2nd half on Saturday 6th October against Belper were a much better example of their potential.  As the half progressed, they got more into the game and started to dominate.

As per usual, nearby fans were obsessed with other football scores – I could hear discussions about Buxton, York and Chesterfield results.

It was at this moment that I realised that the FA cup is the best club football competition in the whole world!  What other tournament would take you to these excellent villages, towns and cities across the whole of England, from grassroots to premiership football? I felt privileged to be part of this occasion.  

On the 69th minute, after a fair amount of sustained Rushall pressure – it became 1-1.

Then the referee’s performance became a talking point - this was started by the Rushall coach who shouted, ‘Well done Ref,’ followed by a mumble of, ‘I don’t say that very often.’ In the 2nd half, the referee made a number of questionable decisions and one of the Rushall assistant coaches was getting more angry. 

He shouted’ ‘Ref, do fucking better.’

This caused the ref and the assistant ref (aka linesman) to come over for a quiet word and ‘any more of that and I’ll give you a red card,’ threat.  

Ironically, the ref spent the next 5 minutes making a hash of a free kick/penalty incident – in which nobody knew if he’d given a free kick or a penalty (it ended up being a free kick).    

Rushall had all the momentum and pressure.

Against the run of play, Belper made it 2-1 on the 80th minute – football can be a cruel game! 

I would describe the goal as a wounder and the team held on to this slender lead for the final 10 minutes of normal and 6 minutes of added time.


As I left, I had to take a picture of this excellent dog and I was most surprised to learn that the attendance was 528 people! 

I was home within 2 hours and it was another great day out for the GKA…

Sunday 6th October, 2019….

I am very grateful because I received a direct message on Twitter from the wonderful Mossley Hill LFC to let me know that their game against Stockport LFC had been called off, due to surface water on the pitch. 

Their 2nd round qualifying game is now scheduled for next Sunday, 13th October at 14:00…

Thanks Mossley Hill for letting me know…

Geeky Stats…

Belper Town wins £11250 in Prize Money.

Route Men’s

Avro Fc 3
4 Litherland Remyca
Sheffield FC 2
1 Litherland Remyca
Rushall Olympic 3
1 Sheffield FC
Rushall Olympic 2
0 Gainsborough Trinity
Belper Town FC 2
1 Rushall Olympic

Route Women’s

Mossley Hill Ladies
Burnley Belvedere Ladies (No show)
Curzon Ashton Ladies 2
2 Mossley Hill Ladies (2-4 Pens)
Sunderland West End Ladies 4
4 Mossley Hill Ladies (4-5 Pens)

RIP Team and Stadium

Avro FC
Vestacare Stadium
Burnley Belvedere Ladies
Belvedere & Calder Vale Sports Club
Litherland Remyca
Litherland Sports Park
Curzon Ashton Ladies
Failsworth Sports Campus
Sheffield FC
Home of Football Stadium
Gainsborough Trinity FC
The Northolme
Sunderland West End Ladies
Herrington Recreational Park
Rushall Olympic
Dales Lane

Highest Number of Fans

Belper Town FC
528 (3rd Qualifying Round)
Rushall Olympic
259 (1st Qualifying Round)
Rushall Olympic
249 (2nd Qualifying Round)
Sheffield FC
184 (Preliminary Round)
Avro FC 
150 (Extra-Preliminary Round)
Sunderland West End Ladies
54 (1st Qualifying Round)
Curzon Ashton Ladies
44 (Preliminary Round)


Prize Money Leaders

Belper Town FC
£11,250 (3rd Qualifying Round)
Rushall Olympic
£11,250 (1st & 2nd Qualifying Rounds)
Sheffield FC
£2890 (Preliminary Round)
Litherland Remyca
£2250 (Extra-Preliminary Round)
Mossley Hill Ladies 
£1,035 (1st Qualifying Round+ Preliminary Round + Extra Preliminary Round)

GKA League Table

Team
Won
Drawn
Goals F
Goals A
GD
Points
Mossley Hill Ladies
3
0
6
6
0
9
Rushall Olympic
2
0
5
1
4
6
Belper Town FC
1
0
2
1
1
3
Litherland Remyca
1
0
5
5
0
3
Sheffield FC
1
0
3
4
-1
3
Sunderland West End Ladies
0
0
4
4
0
0
Curzon Ashton Ladies
0
0
2
2
0
0
Avro FC
0
0
3
4
-1
0
Gainsborough Trinity FC
0
0
0
2
-2
0
Burnley Belvedere Ladies
N/A
N/A
N/A
N/A
N/A
N/A

Penalties and Cards – Men v Women

Penalties - Men 1
0 Women
Yellow Cards – Men 13
1 Women
Red Cards – 1
0 Women

1976 – 3rd Qualifying Round – Hednesford Town V Telford United

After Geoff’s Hurst’s men beat Tividale they travelled 17.9 miles north to Hednesford Town - it seems that all these early ties in the 1976 competition were very local compared to the distances the GKA have travelled so far in 2019.


Geoff Hurst was still a big draw and 1,600 supporters turned up for this Cup Tie (four times the size of a normal West Midlands League gate for the period). It was still 3 times larger than our 2019 crowd at Belper Town FC and I’m guessing that Mossely Hill LFC will have around 50 fans in next week’s re-scheduled match.

Hednesford Town’s stadium had been described as an old stable in which the players washed in a trough and the pitch was a bog.  I wonder if this is any different to the pitch that was called off at Mossley Hill? 



The soggy conditions brought this game to a nil-nil draw.

The following Tuesday night Hednesford travelled 26.1 to Telford.






On a night with terrible floodlights and a surface that suited Geoff Hurt’s playing style, Telford won 3-0.

Setting up another home tie against Matlock Town in the 1976 4th Qualifying Round.  

 Route 1976

Hinckley Athletic 0
1 Tividale
Oldbury United 0 
4 Tividale
Tividale 0
3 Telford United
Hednesford Town 0
0 Telford United
Telford United 3
0 Hednesford Town

1976/77 League Table

Team
Won
Drawn
Goals F
Goals A
GD
Points
Telford United  
2
1
7
0
7
7
Tividale
2
0
5
3
2
6
Hednesford Town
0
1
0
3
-3
1
Hinkley Athletic
0
0
0
1
-1
0
Oldbury United
0
0
0
4
-4
0

Next up in the GKA…

Next Sunday 13th October 2019 will be the re-scheduled women’s 2nd Qualifying Round game between Mossley Hill LFC and Stockport County LFC.


Men’s Draw for the 4th Qualifying Round (Saturday 19th October)

Notts County FC V Belper Town

Women’s Draw for the 3rd Qualifying Round (Sunday 27th October)

Mossley Hill LFC/Stockport County LFC V FC United of Manchester Women/ Brighouse Town LFC



No comments:

Post a Comment